Aug 5, 2005

Catholics, evangelicals Common Ground Article

Well, I cannot find this article online, but the July 30, 2005 issues of the St. Pete Times had an article entitled, "Catholics, evangelicals find common ground." It speaks of "an increasingly warm relationship between Catholics (Romanists) and evangelicals." The subject is a book by Mark Noll and Carolyn Nystrom called Is the Reformation Over? An Evangelical Assessment of Contemporary Roman Catholicism.

In the article, Noll praises the Second Vatican Council, the joint evangelical-Romanist stance against abortion, Papa Frita- JP2's stand against Communism (which Ronald Reagan toppled via aggressive policies) and JP2 "for speaking effectively on behalf of Christian tradition."

It also addresses William Shea, a Romanist apologist with a book called The Lion and the Lamb: Evangelicals and Catholics in America. He says, "The admiration for John Paul II (Papa Frita)is simply astounding given (evangelicals') historic real hatred for the papacy."

The article ends with the following:
Yet both Noll and Shea believe the evangelicals are much closer to Catholicism (Romanism) on central Christian teachings that more liberal Protestants.

So does this mean the Reformation is over? Noll summarizes: "The answer is not yes, but it's moving in the direction of yes."


As for Romanists being closer to "evangelicals" than liberal Protestants, I am reminded of my favorite quote by former Buccaneers coach John McKay: "I can't pick the best out of two worsts."

And the real answer to the question "Is the Reformation over?" would be "it's time to have a new one."

I AM GOING ON RECORD THAT I AM NO LONGER CONSIDERING MYSELF AN EVANGELICAL- I AM DIRECT OPPOSITION TO MOST OF THE EVANGELICAL WING- INCLUDING BILLY GRAHAM, TIMOTHY GEORGE, TBN (EVEN THOUGH THAT IS A STRETCH) AND ANY OTHERS WHO ALIGN THEMSELVES WITH THE WHORE OF ROMANISM. I AM A 1689 CONFESSION SOUTHERN BAPTIST.

The Bible is clear:
Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

" I will dwell in them
And walk among them.
I will be their God,
And they shall be My people."

Therefore
"“ Come out from among them
And be separate, says the Lord.
Do not touch what is unclean,
And I will receive you."
"I will be a Father to you,
And you shall be My sons and daughters,
Says the LORD Almighty."” (2 Corinthians 6.14-18 NKJV)


As a Bible-believing Christian, I have no place being tied to Romanism.

No comments: