Dec 2, 2008

Tuesday Morning Notes 12.2.2008


Brother Boyd and I met at his church in Brooksville and went to the downtown section of Brooksville to share the Gospel. It was chilly by Florida standards- about 50 degrees (Fahrenheit), but very bearable. It was not just a good time of evangelism, but also good fellowship. Despite our different perspectives, we are able to encourage each other. Although, when Boyd brings up music styles, etc., I do not argue the point (he does not approve of "praise and worship" style and drums- I do, as long as the songs have meaningful content Biblically speaking).

We covered two streets, probably about 40 houses in all. That may seem like a small number, but these houses tend to be spread out and it takes a while to get to each one. The picture in this post is of Boyd walking down on of the streets.

Today it seemed that most of the people answered the door when I knocked or rang the bell. Boyd had most of the "no answer" doors.

The highlight today was when we met a nice lady named Lori. She stated that she attends the local Methodist church and that her husband attends a Baptist church in a neighboring town. Boyd's pastor actually started that Baptist church.

When she assured us that she was going to go to heaven based on her good works, we explained to her that her works were unable to bring her salvation, that salvation was only available as a gift from God. I pointed out Ephesians 2.8-9 on the tract and explained that the Bible tells us our good works are as "filthy rags." As we spoke to her she agreed that she was spiritually needy, and needed Jesus. We prayed with Lori and she received Christ this morning. Please pray for Lori, that she would be transformed by the renewing of her mind and transformed by the work of the Holy Spirit.

The next house was occupied by a lady who also believed that she would go to heaven based on her "good works," but as I shared with her that it was not by being good that she would find salvation, she became impatient and said she had to go to work. We were on that street for about an hour after that conversation and she still had not left for work. May God bring her attention to the truth of the Scripture listed on the tract she accepted.

I had on gentleman respond to my asking him about where he would spend eternity by saying, "I don't think about those things before I have my coffee." He then closed the door quickly. I bit my tongue as I felt like saying, "They don't serve coffee in hell," but I did not think that was the leading of the Holy Spirit, so it was probably good that I just let the door close.

We did meet one other lady who seemed somewhat open, but was very tired. She said she works the midnight shift, as do I, but that she could not come to Christ right now because she has to clean things up in her life. We briefly explained that it is Jesus Who can clean those things up after we are saved, but she politely thanked us for the tract and we realized that she was not ready to open up totally to the Gospel. We may try to revisit her in the future. She seemed to have a guarded interest in the state of her soul before God. She lived on Liberty Street, please join us in praying that God brings her into true liberty through His Son, Jesus Christ.

That is all for this morning. May God produce fruit from our labor.
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life;
of whom shall I be afraid?
Hear, O LORD, when I cry aloud;
be gracious to me and answer me!
You have said, "Seek my face."My heart says to you,
"Your face, LORD, do I seek."
I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living!
Wait for the LORD;
be strong, and let your heart take courage;
wait for the LORD! (Psalm 27.1, 7-8, 13-14 ESV)

1 comment:

Rand said...

Hey Pete,

When I read about the coffee comment, I immediately thought of a "Far Side" picture I saw once in a coffee shop (oddly enough, it was during one of our street preaching endeavours): two guys are in Hell with flames all around them. Both have coffee mugs in their hands. One of them says: "Yuck! this coffe is cold!" The other replies: "Yeah, they sure thought of everything, didn't they?"

Made me laugh.

Also, the Scripture you posted at the end of your post... well... have a listen to this:

http://www.oldchristianmusic.com/music/ron+patti-vaillant--scripture-songs-II/Ron%20And%20Patti%20Vaillant--The%20Lord%20Is%20My%20Light%20[Psalm%20271,3,4,7,10,14]--Scripture%20Songs%20II.mp3

It's one of my favorite Scripture Songs. We have the whole thing on CD.

Take care and God bless you!

Rand