Feb 20, 2010

Quinceañera Celebration

Today we were invited to a Quinceañera Celebration of a young lady from Emmanuel Ministries. Apparently it is the celebration of a young lady's 15th birthday in many Latin American cultures. I believe it is typically roman catholic in nature.

As I was leaving our house for the preceeding church service, I felt led to bring my Bible and minister's manual. When we arrived, they were waiting for the minister of the church to lead tge service. He was not there. I found out later that he was there at 4:45 and did not see anyone and left. The service was at 5pm.

Needless to say I was called upon to give a message and lead most of the service. I told the Quinceañera, Helen, that I was giving the message directly to her. I preached a brief message on the Scripture below. I also shared a Scripture prayer with Numbers 6.24-26 and closed with Jude 24-25. I did pray a prayer of dedication over her as well. I had very little idea about what was traditionally done in these celebrations. I pray the God was glorified through it.

"Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity." 1 Timothy 4.12 ESV

(I guess I understand having to be ready "out of season!")

1 comment:

Cindy Brown said...

Wow. What a wonderful servant of God you have become and a great boy scout: Be prepared!! Love, Cindy