Jan 19, 2009

Remembering Angelia

I wrote this back in 2001 after finding out a young lady I ministered to as a youth pastor was killed by a drunk driver. I do not know why I feel like posting this from my old website, but I post it basically as it was. I will try to find a picture of her. I do not know where my old pictures are. She was a gem. She embodied the following Scripture:
Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. (I Timothy 4.12 ESV)

I miss you Angelia...
  • Who she was to me
  • How she was taken from us
  • Peace even in this loss


Who She Was To Me:
Angelia was a wonderful girl I met when she attended the youth group I led in Lakeland from 1994-1996. She was the first teen I ever had in a youth group that was really dedicated to Christ. She was very involved in ministry. Angelia (actually her name was Angela, but I originally misspelled it and she liked how I spelled it: "Angelia") was always very supportive. Angelia was often a clown as she ministered (literally).

When I heard she was killed by a drunk driver I was devastated. Angelia was an inspiration to me. I wished so much that I could have been there for her during her last hours. I would have gladly taken her place. She meant that much to me. I will always miss her until I see her again in heaven. I look forward to that reunion.

How She Was Taken From Us:
September 24, 1998~~ The day I wish never happened.

Angela Marie Sharpe, 18, was struck from behind and thrown into a ditch after midnight on Sept. 24, 1998, as she walked north on Lakeland Highlands Road near construction of a Polk Parkway overpass.

"The pedestrian was walking in the roadway, and she was walking with traffic, as opposed to against it," Fisher said. "The driver apparently was not alert and failed to perceive and react to the presence of the pedestrian. . . . If the Jaguar had moved nine-inches to the left, the pedestrian wouldn't have been struck."

The driver had a blood alcohol level of 0.15 five hours after the incident -- nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08, said Assistant State Attorney John Kirkland. An expert estimates it would have been between 0.19 and 0.26 at the time Sharpe was hit, he said.

Source: Lakeland Ledger


Peace even in this loss:
We know that as a Christian, Angelia is now with the Lord in heaven. It hurts to not have her here. I had not spoken to her in two years, but I always thought we'd see each other again sometime. I know we will, but unfortunately not here. Angelia's faith in Christ has led her to a far better place. My faith in Christ will reunite me with her someday. Her many Christian friends will see her again as well.

Will you ever meet her (or if you knew her, will you ever see her again)? The question I am asking, is if you died right now, do you know for sure that you would go to heaven? If not, please either email me, or go to "the Way" page and read through the Scriptures. It can point you toward eternal life. Check the Scriptures in full at ESV.ORG.

I was not the only one whose life was touched by Angelia. There were many. I hope that people will look at this story and realize that drinking and driving can cost many people a great deal.
Even though the driver was convicted, it will not bring Angelia back. I will never forget Angelia, I will not stop missing her until we meet again in heaven.

No comments: